Right Fit Call
Hi Bob, it’s Mike Cowles, how are you? – Good
Great. I have a note in my calendar that says we have a 10 minute call now, is that right? – Yes
Ok, so we have 10 minutes and I have another call straight after you so we’ll need to keep to time, is that OK? – Sure
Thanks for that. So my job today is really simple. I’m going to ask you a bunch of questions to work out IF or HOW I can help you. If I feel like I can’t help you, I’ll let you know politely, and do my best to point you in the right direction. If I feel like I can help you, we’ll book in another time to talk about how – is that OK? – Yes
Perfect, let’s get started.
1. Why now? What’s going on in their world to make this a “now” conversation?
2. Why me? Why do they think you’re the person to call?
3. The gap: What’s the gap between their reality and the results they want?
4. What’s broken: What specifically is broken, missing, or not working?
5. What they need: What they want you to help them with.
6. Priority: Is this a later thing or a sooner thing?
What to say
“It sounds like your top 3 problems are:
• You want result but obstacle,
• You have problem and it’s costing you impact, and
• You don’t have desired thing and it’s hurting you because cause.”
Not a good fit
“At the start of our call I said I’d ask you a bunch of questions to work out if or how I could help you. Based on what you said, I don’t think I’m the right guy for you at this time.” I’d suggest you do ….. for now and check back with me when you get X.
Good Academy fit
“At the start of our call I said I’d ask you a bunch of questions to work out if or how I could help you. Based on what you said, I think my Academy is the best option to help you reach your goals. In it you’ll get access to all the tools, training and community you need to do XYZ.
So the next step is to create your account. Here’s the link to authorize your payment and create your membership. Sound good?”
Good Coaching fit
“At the start of our call I said I’d ask you a bunch of questions to work out if or how I could help you. Based on what you said, I’m confident I can help you reach your goals. So the next step for us is to book another time to talk about how.”
In the next session, I want to build a roadmap for you. Explain the benefits of the Strategy Session using the Reality, Results, Roadblocks framework. Finally, you — or your assistant — will schedule them in for the 45-minute strategy session.